Monday, January 25, 2010

Italian (and Dutch) Excursions

We made it! Here I am in Florence in our cozy igloo of an apartment. I bet you never knew there was such a thing as a cozy igloo. But there is. I will try to backtrack and fill you in on the past few days. We had an eight hour layover in Amsterdam, and though AMS airport is cool and all, it's not exactly capable of producing eight fun-filled hours. Ergo, we took the opportunity to explore the city. Amsterdam was surprisingly pretty with its canals and beautiful architecture. After much searching, we found the Rijks Museum and enjoyed viewing giant doll houses, Delft china, Rembrandt, and Vermeer. Note that we didn't actually view Rembrandt and Vermeer themselves because that would've been freaky and gross. We did, however, view their paintings. Then we enjoyed a miserable mixture of rain, sleet, and snow on our trek back to the airport. We were glad to leave Amsterdam!

Here is my very favorite building that we saw in Amsterdam (the picture doesn't do it justice). You can't tell from the picture but it is right on a canal! Notice the ballooning window coverings. They look like skirts. This building is obviously a girl, and her name shall be Marguerite. I'm sure the owners won't mind.



After arriving in Florence, we spent a safe and quiet night in a hostel (no, I haven't seen that movie) and then got the keys to our apartment.

Exploring Florence has been amazing!
The most famous landmark in Florence is the Duomo, a Renaissance cathedral. Construction on the Duomo began in the late 1200s; the facade wasn't completed until the 1870s! I guess the Duomo wasn't built in a day. Neither was Rome, remember? I guess Italians are slow.

The Renaissance artist Brunelleschi performed the feat of creating a dome for this massive structure. I'm assuming he had help... but you know, those Brunelleschis get all the credit. When I paint this dome, I will subtract the construction... as charming as it is.




The front of the Duomo is also amazing (though the domed side is superior, in my opinion).




As we stood in the piazza in front of the Duomo, we literally turned around, and there were Ghiberti's famous baptistry doors! I realize this is less impressive if you have never heard of Ghiberti's doors, but I was pretty floored... not literally, though it's possible... they're huge. These aren't the original panels, by the way. Hopefully, you aren't crushed... which, again, could be possible if you are in the way of the doors. Those suckers are big.


We meandered from the Duomo down to the Ponte Vecchio, the 14th century bridge over the Arno River. Sounds so carefree, huh? *meanders* The bridge is lined with leather and jewelry shops. This is the view from the Ponte Vecchio.


Next, we hiked (which is significantly less carefree) to the Michelangelo Piazzale, a hill overlooking the entire city. By this time "wow!" and "that's cool!" were beginning to sound trite. We'll have to come up with some new exclamations of wonderment. Recommendations are appreciated.




Florence has three "Davids." The original (by Michelangelo) is in a museum, another is in the Piazza della Signoria, and this one is in the Piazzale Michelangelo. The distant, shadowed effect is for your well-being.



And today we enjoyed our first gelato! Pistachio gelato is pretty earth shattering. It marries well with nougat... just ask the Italians.



Nota Bene: Anyone ever seen those Geico commercials where a customer tells their boring, just the facts story and a celebrity reinterprets it in a much more exciting way? Well that's kind of like this blog. I don't have much of a knack for writing (that would make me the boring customer), so my editorially skilled friend Hannah is adding her pizazz (that would make her Little Richard). Hope you enjoy the fruits of our combined efforts!

18 comments:

  1. Great pictures.

    Bring some gelato home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. I had an eight-hour layover in Amsterdam (on one of my fequent visits there), and that was really boring when the four other people travelling with me were asleep. Exploring had been on our mind, but the visas were just a little over our heads. So The Rembrandt museum had to hold me off. Oh well (I spent about half an hour there, which was torture for my less interested companion [Malachi])

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to haer it in person (on skype)! We miss you!

    -kelley-

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...I know how to spell "hear" so give me a break. It's a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Stupendous! Mahvelous. Glorious. Sweet. Ginormous. What a sight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first picture of the Duomo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When viewing Christmas lights, we use the phase, "OOOOh, AAAAh, impressive!" We miss y'all! Gelato sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'The distant, shadowed effect is for your well-being.'

    Thanks.:D

    As for exclamations of wonderment . . . hmm. My sisters are watching Miss Potter behind me; everybody in that movie says, 'Extraordinary!' all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the comments! We'll try to add those "exclamations of wonderment" to our repertoire.

    Jacob--
    Did you guys go to Rembrandt's house? I really wanted to go there but had trouble finding it on a map! I took the virtual tour online though and it is a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother and I went to Italy in 1972 with the American Institute for Foreign Study. Though the first leg of our summer was based in Rome, we spent time in Florence, saw the museums, the doors, views...spent money on a cameo brooch for our mother and a chic leather shoulder bag I have to this day.

    My most profound memories of Florence are seeing the unfinished Slaves and the David at the Galleria dell'Accademia, and the view of the city from the hill at dusk when the light was absolutely golden and glinted off the dome like something tangible and precious.

    I am in awe that you saw the Rembrandts and Vermeers. Which ones?

    I have an elderly aunt who is fond of saying, "My stars!" (w/ emphasis on "stars"). I suppose it could be adapted in this generation by emphasizing "My", esp. if one wants to imply an emotional ownership of the object/view/experience in question.

    When our daughters, Molly and Kathryn, came home from Vienna summer before last, they declared that, having now tasted gelato, they would never profane that memory by putting mere ice cream to their lips again. (Unless it happened to be my homemade banana nut. ::ahem::)

    I look forward to more vicarious memories through reading your blogs. Good show!
    ~Rachel Green

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. Maybe I should have been more clear. I was referring to something within the Airport. I'm not sure whether it even had any real Rembrandt in it. But it gave all the info on the various mediums and methods with which different paintings were done, and I read through all of them.
    On another note, a reliable source told me that the Macchiatos in Italy are good. Could you confirm that? (I know they can't possibly be as good as the ones in Ityoppya)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacob--
    I'm glad you read all about Rembrandt : )
    Haven't had a macchiato yet! Just a cappuccino. It was good. But I dunno Ethiopian might be better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms Rachel--
    We saw The Night Watch (huge!), The Jewish Bride, some self-portraits, etc. of Rembrandt. Also saw a couple of his pieces at the Uffizi here in Florence.
    Of Vermeer's work, we saw: The Little Street, The Milkmaid, and Woman in Blue Reading a Letter. All 3 of them were quite small.

    Haven't made it to the David yet, but my school is on the same road as the Accademia! Haven't started school yet either but studying Italian blocks away from the David sounds pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you spare us... :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's an exclamation of wonderment for you: "Oh my sainted aunt!" (Philidelphia Story)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Katie and Sydney,
    Missing ya'll,come home,and bring some of that ice-cream stuff in the picture....
    Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete